27 days holiday
Buy or sell holidays
Regular social events
£350 Christmas vouchers
Birthday off work
What to expect
About the role
We are looking for a Systems Engineer to design and implement highly available and scalable data and compute solutions, whilst also ensuring sufficient monitoring, alerting and disaster recovery solutions are implemented and maintained to the Commify standard.
This role takes pride in the performance and availability of the solutions they look after and works hard to ensure the manual overhead of running a 24×7 internet solution is reduced to the minimum amount possible. You will be part of a team of cross-functional engineers, working collaboratively to deliver new solutions utilising Platform as a Service cloud solutions along with maintaining on-premises software-based products and platforms.
We make business communication brilliant! We work with more than 45,000 companies, helping them to transform their mobile communication with their customers and employees. Our success is the result of hundreds of talented people pulling together to achieve a common goal. Join our team and be part of our success story.
You will thrive in an environment of passion, integrity, ownership and innovation, where development and progression is a real focus. We’d like to think we have everything you’d expect from a benefits package, from 27 days holiday and your birthday off work, to private medical cover, dental cover and bi-monthly social events! On top of this you can expect £350 of Christmas vouchers and added extras like beer o’clock and an amazing Christmas party.
What you’ll be doing
As Systems Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Developing tooling and solutions designed to support new product development, in collaboration with global Commify Engineering teams
- Ensuring high levels of system performance through monitoring, analysis and performance tuning
- Liaising with Developers, Product Owners and other Engineering teams to deliver engineering roadmaps showing key items such as upgrades, technical refreshes and new versions
- Troubleshooting system hardware, software, networks, operating and system management systems
- Reviewing and ensuring conformance of tooling test plans to meet expected quality standards
- Advising on engineering standards, procedures, methods, tools and techniques
- Developing knowledge of cloud provider roadmaps
- Evaluating cloud solutions in relation to existing operational standards and requirements, especially in relation to performance, auto-scaling and availability
- Working with the Security team to identify and protect against threats to the cloud solutions
- Contributing to reviews and audits of projects from an engineering perspective, including identifying risks and mitigation options
- Engaging in knowledge-transfer across Commify engineering
- Conducting personal professional development to keep up-to-date on new technologies and trends and maintaining proficiency in current industry technologies
- Rationalising ‘buy’ or ‘build’ decisions, including choosing between Platform, Software and Infrastructure as a Service solutions
- Providing on-call support including out-of-hours incident support on a rota basis to help deliver a high quality of service around the clock
What we’re looking for
We’re interested in hearing from candidates with experience in the following areas:
- Previous experience of working in an operations role
- Ability to collaboratively work as part of a cross-functional team, to take ownership of, prioritise and be accountable for your work
- Excellent communication skills and a desire to continue to learn
- Centralised monitoring solutions (Application Insights, OMS, Log Analytics, ELK or similar)
- Configuration Management tools (Ansible, Chef or similar)
- Understanding and working knowledge of Microsoft Azure Cloud offerings, especially in the Platform as a Service category (Web Apps, Storage, Functions)
- Scripting/programming languages to assist in automating solutions e.g. PowerShell (preferred), Bash, C#, Ruby, Python.
- Experience supporting web-based applications – with understanding of firewall configuration, load balancing and availability checks
- Experience of working with Linux and Microsoft Server operating systems
- Ability to present options and recommendations in a confident and evidence-supported manner that allows for rapid decision making
It would be great if you also had:
- A good understanding or working knowledge of the following tools: Terraform, Ansible, VSTS, ARM, Puppet, Chef, Jenkins, ELK, Grafana
- A good understanding or working knowledge of DNS, Load Balancer configuration, Active Directory and cloud-based network infrastructure
- Experience of working in an agile environment and experience with agile methodologies such as TDD, Scrum, Kanban
- Experience of defining service level objectives/operational requirements for a cloud-based solution
- Understanding and experience of implementing a monitoring and alerting system for a micro-service architecture
- Applied understanding of cloud security best practice
- Experience of maintaining SQL and noSQL storage technologies
- A passion for reliability
The next step
To apply please send a full CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, views and skills, embracing our key values. The more diverse and inclusive we are, the stronger we are as a team. We encourage applications from all candidates with the relevant skills and experience.